The following is the ranking of general poker hands from highest to lowest.
The higher the ranking the harder the hand is to get, and thus it beats hands lower in the rank.
A Royal Straight Flush is the best hand you can get, whilst a High Card is the worst hand you can have. Two pair and one pair are the most common winning hands.
- Royal Straight Flush – 10-J-Q-K-A, all of the same suit.
- Straight Flush – five cards, of the same suit, in order, such as 2-3-4-5-6 all of diamonds.
- Four of a Kind – four of the same card, such as K-A-A-A-A.
- Full House – a set of three of a kind plus a pair, such as 8-8-Q-Q-Q.
- Flush – five cards of the same suit
- Straight – five running cards not necessarily of the same suit, such as 6-7-8-9-10
- Three of a Kind – three cards of the same value, such as 10-10-10
- Two Pair – four cards with two of the same value and the other two of the same value, such as 8-8 and A-A
- One Pair – two cards of the same value, such as 2-2
- High Card – any one card with the highest value
Note, it is always the higher hand that wins, It is possible that 2 people could have a straight flush, but it is the player with the higher straight flush that would win the pot.
Same if 2 players have quads, the higher the rank of the card then that player will win the pot. When it comes to two players having a full house, the winner will be decided by the player who has the higher three of a kind.
It is possible that both players have the same three of a kind, in this situation the winner is decided by who has the highest pair to go with the three of a kind.